Monday, August 22, 2016

5 Quirky Things You Should Know From the Life of Deborah Ann Davis



5 Quirky Things You Should Know From the Life of Deborah Ann Davis

I write Quirky Young Adult Fiction With A Twist, partially because I find it humorous, but mostly because that’s the way I look at life. The unexpected twists in my own journey have made my life rich and interesting.

1. I started writing Fairly Safe first, then interrupted it to write Fairly Certain, and am now launching Fairly Safe August 1st. The interruption was not my fault. I was seduced by the Medieval Force of my first Renaissance Faire. As I stood in the middle of the fair, Medieval life swirling around me, the plot of Fairly Certain was born. As a quirk of fate, I will be returning to the Connecticut Renaissance Faire to sign books October 22. Look me up http://ctfaire.com/deborah-ann-davis/#.V5TXP0LZfdk
Meanwhile, Fairly Safe shares the excitement and thrill I felt as a child approaching the town carnival every summer. At the time, I did not know I was doing research for my first book, but apparently, I was. As they say, “write what you know.”


2. Although Lyme Disease marooned me on the couch for a very long time, it gave rise to my writing career. My creative side took center stage at a time when I was afraid I would not be able to return to teaching. Eventually, I recovered, but for a few years I wrote during the summers in between school years. It’s pretty ironic that the Writing Bug bit me after the Tick who gave me Lyme disease bit me.


3. When I was 19, a drunk driver hit the side of our car where I sat in the passenger seat. That car accident completely changed my outlook on life for the positive. Two broken legs, a broken nose, a broken thumb, etc., made me understand how precious life is, and how everything can change in the blink of an eye.
Eager to take advantage of every moment that life has to offer, I stopped jumping from major to major, and settled on my destined vocation, teaching high school science. Who knows where I would’ve ended up if I had not had that accident. Why, I could have missed out on touching the lives of a couple of thousand teenagers. Am I lucky, or what?


4. The boy I had a mad crush on stood across from me, arms folded across his chest. “We’ve been dating for a couple of months, and I think I should be able to kiss you,” he said, his face grim.
I was 15, a year younger than he, and wondering where that comment had come from. In the movies, pivotal moments such as this usually involved some sort of touching. They hardly ever involved scowling. I was too young and too inexperienced to know that, as dynamic and worldly as he appeared, dating a shy girl was new territory for this boy, and he was at a loss as to how to close the gate.
“Okay.” I couldn’t think of anything more memorable to say.
He leaned over and kissed me. “We’ll have to work on that,” he murmured to himself.
I married him 12 years later.

5. My books have plots with a twist. Why? Because that’s what I’d like to read, ever since Isaac Asimov surprised me in his book series, Foundation Trilogy. The quirkiness of my characters is borrowed from three decades of observing teenagers, laughing with them, and at them. Let’s face it. That very quirkiness in teenagers, with their variety of oddities, is what makes the typical teenager so interesting. My characters don’t make you laugh because they are trying to make you laugh. They make you laugh because of the way they see the world.

About the Author

DEBORAH ANN DAVIS has been writing since she was assigned to keep a Journal in her 5th grade English class. She began to look around for writing inspiration. Lo and behold, she found her world was full of funny stories just waiting to be told. As she grew older, occasionally she could manipulate one into some school assignment, but it never occurred to her to pursue writing, not even when she discovered her flare for telling stories at college parties.

After a string of college majors, she realized she could have a captive audience EVERY DAY in the public school system. As it turns out, teenagers love to laugh, and what could be more entertaining than Biology, Earth Science, and Environmental Science? Then there's the added bonus that once kids know you like to laugh, they want to make you laugh.

Go figure.

In addition to Writing, she is also an Educational Speaker and a Certified Personal Trainer. She taught for 25+ years, although somewhere in the middle of all that educating, she stepped out of teaching for 6 years to do the Mommy Thing, and run the office for their family construction company.

Even though they had followed separate paths, Deborah reunited with, and married her childhood sweetheart, twelve years after their first kiss.  Together they coached their daughter’s AAU Basketball Team, which swept States two years in a row. (Yay!) Then, for several years their daughter and their money went to college.

They currently reside on a lovely lake in Connecticut. She enjoys dabbling with living a sustainable life, writing novels for her Love of Fairs series, dancing, playing outside, and laughing really hard every day. She promotes increasing the amount of movement throughout your day via Wiggle Writer posts on Merry Meddling, her blog at www.DeborahAnnDavis.com. Follow her @DeborahAnnDavis.

Remember, you can do anything if you set your mind to it— including becoming an author at any age— but it’s way more fun if you are grinning back when the Universe smiles down on you.
For More Information
About the Book:

JACOB HAS COME A LONG WAY FOR AN ORPHANED FOSTER KID. He has a mentor, a great job, and has finally fallen in love. Granted, she mistook him for a stalker when they met, but every relationship has its little problems. Unfortunately, for the past few years, as the object of his affection pops in and out of his life, she has refused to share any personal info, like where she’s from, or her
real name. Regardless, Jacob is ready to take their relationship to the next level. Now, if only he can locate her so he can tell her.

CASEY’S FAMILY IS IN THE WITNESS PROTECTION PROGRAM. Safety has to be their only priority. Their cover has been blown before, so Casey knows at any given time they could be forced to disappear again. Obviously, a shy young man with hopeful eyes cannot possibly be added to the mix. You cannot build a relationship like that. Now, if only she can stop thinking about him.

JACOB’S AND CASEY’S WORLDS UNEXPECTEDLY COLLIDE when Jacob inadvertently helps hide her family. Exposed to their 24-7 vigilance, Jacob realizes he must come up with a plan to keep them out of harm’s way, because this time if Casey disappears, she will be taking with her Jacob’s heart, and his hopes of finally having a family of his own.

For More Information

  • Fairly Safe is available at Amazon.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Everyone!
    Thank you for hosting my newest book, "Fairly Safe." I invite you to go to http://DeborahAnnDavis.com to read an excerpt from "Fairly Safe" and one from "Fairly Certain," my first book. They are both quirky YA fiction with a twist, and sure to please!

    ReplyDelete